THE SHORT STORY
Typed, Edited, and
by meister_z Enterprises
Copyright © jzr -- meister_z
February 12, 2000.
The SHORT STORY INDEX Page
The Short Story is without a doubt a very popularly liked form of reading. Many a time, it is the delicious morsel we take for the mind and for relaxation purposes. Obviously, too, there are probably a few million short stories found all around the world. BUT... there are not so many truly good Short Stories which easily have become Classics of our times. It is noteworthy to remember that there are certain qualities to a Classic Short Story. One of them is that it must concentrate or focus on only one central theme (or idea). The other is that all events and developments must also contribute to intensify that theme. And then, of course, the story should additionally reflect the artful use of words, language, and Literary techniques which brighten up and transmit the feelings, attitudes, images, and particular details of the narrative, so as to clearly influence the reader's mind and guide him to visualize the contents of the narration. Very few writers have been able to accomplish this.
Below is the list of Short Stories which have weathered the judgment and passing of Time, and which are either Classics, or true Masterpieces, or even both. So follow me into the realm that the Classic Short Story has to offer, and that we are fortunate and privileged enough to find here. Take advantage of their availabilty and enjoy and Learn from them. – jzr –
February 12, 2000.
Updated July 9, 2002.
meister_z Short Stories
- A DANGEROUS GAME -- GREAT ADVENTUROUS AND INTRIGUING TALE.
- THE MONKEY'S PAW -- OLD TALE, BUT STILL COOL AND THOUGHT-RAISING
- THE LEGEND of SLEEPY HOLLOW -- TRADITIONAL CLASSIC, STILL A HIT AMONG MANY READERS
- THE LOTTERY -- LIKE STRANGE TALES? THE MACABRE? THE UNEXPECTED?
- THE RANSOM of RED CHIEF -- THE HUMOROUS, THE IRONIC, THE TWIST IN PLOT -- by O. HENRY
- LA ENTREVISTA -- A FINE MODERN SHORT STORY (in Spanish) JUST RECENTLY RELEASED
- NEW! THE MOUSE -- STRANGE TALE by SAKI.